Friday, September 12, 2008

Strawberry and Spinach Salad

This is actually my friend Lugene's recipe, but I'm stealing it from her and posting it here! This is by far my favorite salad and it's great for a summer picnic, but easy enough to make on any given day.

Strawberry and Spinach Salad

1/2 lb. baby spinach
1 pt. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 oz. slivered almonds, toasted
Dressing:
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. sesame seed
1 T. poppy seed
1 1/2 t. minced onion
1/4 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. paprika
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. oil

Basically, you dump the spinach, strawberries and almonds into a large bowl and toss it around. Then make the dressing and pour that on top... Easy-Peasy!

Here are my tips:
1. I buy the bagged spinach.
2. I never bother to toast the almonds -- maybe it would be better that way, but sometimes I'm lazy.
3. The dressing -- I've used Splenda, but the real sugar is better!
4. The dressing -- I've made this salad many times and I never remember to buy the sesame seeds, so I usually make it without, and it's still really good.
5. I like to make the dressing in a jar with a lid, so that you can just add everything and shake it.
6. This recipe makes a LARGE salad to take to a gathering. I like to make the dressing in the aforementioned jar and then just use a little bit of it on individual salads. C and I would never be able to eat the entire salad before it got all soggy from the dressing.
7. The dressing is good on other salads too!
8. This salad is also good with some cooked chicken sliced on top!

Thanks Lugene!



(I bought these cute bowls at Target on clearance last year!)